Sunday, May 7, 2017

THE SUNDAY POST #111

THE SUNDAY POST
NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN
THE SUNDAY POST is a weekly wrap-up feature hosted by Kimba at the CAFFEINATED BOOK REVIEWER.



LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN TUESDAY
ARC TEASER

DO YOU RE-ARRANGE YOUR BOOKSHELVES?

Annemieke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS counted the books on her shelves a couple of days ago, and that inspired me to take a look at my digital shelves. I'll count my physical books when the spring cleaning bug hits me.
I was surprised how many books had different covers from when I bought them. Quite a few now have bare-chested muscle men, some with swooning women in their arms, as cover art. Those are the ones I probably won't end up reading. It's a good thing most of those were freebies. And, in defense of my staggering ARC pile, a good portion of them are "read nows" that have no archive dates, so I am not feeling guilty about those, ha ha.

We might have snow today and tomorrow. Yikes!
▪ ▪ ▪
I wanted to mention something that happened on Facebook. Some people don't talk about many, if any, close personal issues on the public side of social media. In fact, most of my friends either don't let on about their heavier problems, and some none at all, except in private messaging. For that reason, we have to be careful about being harsh with people in comments and replies, I mean they are supposed to be our friends, right?
This was my profile pic from Facebook. Someone who lives in my city, with no friends in common, shared it to his timeline with the Facebook activities byline, "meeting new people". Yes, I know the photo doesn't show my face, but I was solidly creeped out. Most of that came from the fact that my current address is still in all phone directories because I haven't moved since we had a landline, and because Baz Manchild is such a social butterfly I am home alone most of the time. I mentioned I was creeped out about it on Facebook and one of my friends went on a tirade in the comments basically saying so what, that's social media, and giving me an un-needed Facebook tutorial about privacy settings making me look like a cyber idiot, and then she and her father started tag-teaming in the comments. All I said was I was creeped out, so was all that necessary? No, and it started sending me to a very dark lonely place. Here I am saying in so many words, "Hey, friends, I feel unsafe and I am a little upset right now" and instead of supportive comments like, "yeah, that is creepy" as everyone else gave me, I get body slam tag-teamed with, "well, what do you expect, stupid girl," by the two of them. I cried myself to sleep.
Now, back to my original point... normally I would have sluffed it off, but there has been "stuff" going on at work, plus the local political activist group I belonged to that was doing some great work was somehow stealthily taken over by a little clique of clueless older (well around my age) women who are the queens of passive agressive and they were constantly on me yesterday (and I dropped out of the group), and I have some physical issues that are sometimes next to nothing and at other times extremely debilitating (I have been dealing with the extreme side lately) - the perfect storm to feel vulnerable. So be kind and supportive towards your friends on social media because some aren't comfortable with revealing certain things and you never know what might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Although, if I am being a straight up a$s#ol€, you can let me know that, though, ha ha, just be gentle. I would also like to thank Annemieke because she sends me cute pictures and videos of her son and they always lift my spirits.

BOUGHT EBOOKS
My Alice Hoffman collection keeps growing! It was $2.99, but it is regular price now.

This story is about a group of teenagers in an assisted living facility for people with disabilities. I paid $1.99, but it has gone down in price to $1.19. 

My buddy Elizabeth is a rabid Tamora Pierce fan and has talked about these books on her blog many times. I have two Pierce books now. It is still 99¢ today.

NETGALLEY
MIDDLE GRADE
SERIES #1
This was a "Wish For It" and I was surprised I got it because Disney Hyperion has declined me for every title I have requested from them on Netgalley, and there have been quite a few. It publishes in September.

EDELWEISS
ADULT LITERATURE
STANDALONE
It publishes in early June.

You probably have already seen this POST by BOOK★BASTION about rating books on Goodreads that you haven't read, but just in case...

TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN
TEASER

BOOK BLOGGER HOP
Do You Stay Away From Certain Authors?

THE SUNDAY POST
Have an terrific new week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.